Albedo Combat Patrol

News:

Author Topic: Summit Junction, Meeting Engagement  (Read 337 times)

Offline Deredo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
on: June 11, 2020, 10:25:41 PM
Two patrols approached the outskirts of Summit Junction with the unimaginative designation D4, they came from different directions and were vastly different in their intent, but their dedication to their duty was something that they shared.

The ILR section approaching from the south was comprised of 9 basic troopers, one grenadier, an LMG team and the section leader and his second in command.

The EDF Heavy infantry section patrolling from the north had 4 basic troopers, an LMG team and the section leader with his second in command.
Both opposing sections started off the game split up into two teams and all were in a normal state of mind.
In turn one the ILR were able to move first and in one case twice with good movement ranges! This combined with good fortune allowed one squad to quickly get into a good position amongst the vegetation with a good view of the approaching EDF patrol. At this moment I let the dice decide and the ILR team suffered a bout of "accidental discharges" in that they tried to shoot up the EDF troops on the right side of the road, unfortunately with the result that they failed each shot and alerted the EDF of their presence... As the section leader was paired with the grenadier in this team, I allowed them to take a third trooper off to the side of the nearby small factory in an attempt to catch the EDF team in the open.

The first EDF team activated and ducked around the back of the shop like building and was in the cover between the building and a line of trees.
The second EDF team activated and with a goodly move was able to get into position behind the small factory, their luck held and they activated a second time allowing them to enter the window of the shop and move through it unopposed, the point man ended his move with an undeniably sweet view of the ILR leader and made the shot... scoring a 3 for damage suffered. That ended this turn.

In turn two the EDF team two activated first and compounded the damage by taking out the next trooper of the ILR trio.

As the ILR team in contact was next to move I decided to move the grenadier back to the rest of the ILR team, but the EDF made their reaction test and he too was dropped by a burst of fire.
Next to move was the EDF team one and they brought their LMG in position at the end of the store, opened fire and to my surprise caused two casualties. The ILR team on that side of the board activated and reacted in a bit of an odd manner as part of resolving the markers due to the incoming fire, the assistant section leader ran away, then shot himself,  two other team members charged the set up EDF forces with their two wounded companions limping along behind them, as I divided the effects of the tokens among both squads two ILR troopers also lost their nerve and ran for a new bit of cover.

This ended the turn to my surprise.

Turn three had the ILR troopers on the left side activating first and removing their suppression and the shamefaced LMG trooper moved back towards his team.
The next team to activate were the EDF team two on the right side and they moved to contact upon the remaining three ILR trooper in cover of the vegetation who were able to cause a wound on the attacking section leader before the EDF opened fire causing  two more wounds to the ILR forces. Their luck held and they activated again to add further damage to the already sorely pressed troopers. This ended the turn.

Action resumed on the left with the EDF team one activating first and creating a slew of new bullet holes in the ILR squad on the left, who also activated, removed themselves from the line of fire to regroup in the nearby vegetation, they reactivated and were and were able to cause two wounds on the EDF team one, who also managed to reactivate and respond in kind dropping two more troopers.

In the final turn the ILR survivors regrouped in the vegetation removed their suppression, but failed to route but drew the fight to the last bullet card and re loaded their weapons before the EDF teams opened fire from both teams and relieved them of their last wound points!