Albedo Combat Patrol

News:

Author Topic: Recommended Tool(s) for Despruing?  (Read 123 times)

Offline Direlda

• View Profile
on: December 18, 2019, 05:28:44 AM
I'm new to miniature wargaming and have only recently begun to do more than the brief inventory check a few months back of my Kickstarter pledge rewards. I have been doing quite a bit of research on various needed supplies for assembly and am not sure on what I should use to desprue the miniatures. Almost all of the snips/clippers/nippers I've seen recommended are for plastic sprues and I'm not sure if those would be good for the metal sprues.

So what do all of you use to desprue the miniatures?

Offline Deredo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 10:59:58 AM
Hello Direlda, and welcome on board  :) I am certain that everyone has a different method for dealing with the odd sprue or bit of flash on their minis, as an IT technician I have the advantage of getting my mitts on lots of different tools, so for the softer white metal commonly used for figures, I have found a good but cheap electricians wire cutters does the job nicely for me.
Obviously you will want a bit of sand paper and maybe a hobby knife to tidy up the cut area and don't laugh but I prefer to use the cheap fingernail files found in a dollar/pound/Euro store as you can cut them easily to make them smaller, most have four grades of abrasives on them( some even have more) and you can bin them when they no longer do the job.

Offline ultravanillasmurf

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 06:07:00 PM
I use (some rather elderly) wire cutters and a collection of needle files. The half round and round ones are good for cleaning curved surfaces because the cutting surface follows creases and curves.