Albedo Combat Patrol

News:

Author Topic: About the NET  (Read 297 times)

Offline ACP_Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
on: August 09, 2019, 05:14:27 PM
G'day,

you've probably been wondering about the section of the website that I called the NET.  I admit that I have.  One the one hand it's on my list of things to do, which is pretty extensive.

On the other hand, it's difficult because the intent and the reality are now somewhat out of alignment.  back in the early days of the project, my view was that the miniatures were the thing, and the rules were a bit of an afterthought.  Now that we have a very cohesive game, that's changed a bit.

The other thing has changed is that, honestly, we've generated a lot of new intellectual property, and some of you have paid for it.  Putting it all up on the Interweb for everyone to take for free would be silly in three ways:
1. It devalues our investment in the IP
2. It devalues the books you bought, and
3. Undermining sales will make it harder for use to justify further investment - which means fewer toys and no new books.

Pragmatically, that means I personally don't make any money either, which my wife says is a bad thing.

So, what do we use the NET for?

Here are some ideas.

1. Keep the plan as it is, but only unlock the Rules and Source sections of the NET for people who have bought books.
2. Use the sections as a place for new things that are not in the books, and to collect information that's in the public domain.
3. Something else - based on your ideas.

I have a definite plan for the "Universe" section.  In my spare time I've been developing a map of the Albedo Universe - which has never been done before (according to Steve).

My plan is to gradually import these worlds into the universe, so that we can have a dynamic campaign setting for future use.  How far I go with this depends on how much uptake we get for the game generally and how much interest you think you'd have in helping populate it. So you can see what I mean, I'll upload the sector containing the Almata system over the next week and let you know how to access it.

Option 1 is attractive, as it's in keeping with the original vision of the game without affecting our joint investment.  But it's going to take some work on my part, and will require the agreement of Sally 4th and Buck Surdu.

Option 2 runs the risk of not being terribly useful or relevant.

Option 3 is up to you.

Please let me know what you think, and when we're all discussed out, I'll take it upstairs for a decision.

Regards,

ACP_Mike

Offline Deredo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:39:44 PM
I would agree with option one, could some of us help with the site admin work?

Offline Six-Star

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 07:34:58 PM
I think that rules should be free, nowadays a lot of wargame companies give free the rules and forces.
This is a really small game and forcing people to by the rulebooks, could jeopardize the introduction of new players:
Starter force is close to 50 bucks (50$, 45). Force people to the "printed tax" (rulebook and cards) for close to 45 bucks (45$, 40) insted to go to start buying units an tanks...