Albedo Combat Patrol

News:

• Partizan is coming... 
    play ACP164 on May 19th in Nottingham!
  • Counterattack!  Come and join in the participation game at Hammerhead, Newark on March 2nd
  • Come see us at Salute!  London, April 6th.

Author Topic: First read through  (Read 14 times)

Offline ultravanillasmurf

• View Profile
on: May 06, 2019, 05:45:55 PM
Hi,

I bought the skirmish starter set at Salute and have just finished reading through the rule book (KS Beta Test Rules V1.1.0).

The Combat Patrol game engine is interesting and rather different to game systems I have encountered previously. I had been talked through the mechanics of the WW2 version at Warfare a few years back, and probably possess an example card from there.

The following is based on my first full read through of the rules.

I have no idea if my thoughts are of use (and the few typos I found may well have been identified elsewhere) but here they are

Beta Test Rules V1.1.0

Page 3 - Activation

It might be useful to show how the Double Random Activation (tm) works with a diagram, including example cards etc. I know there are cards to download but it is useful to have them in the text.

How specific do the orders need to be?

Is it "the unit will shoot" or "the unit will shoot in that direction" or "the unit will shoot towards the front of the barracks ahead of us"?

Special Activation cards: It would be useful to show the cards in the text (the examples in the PDF are self explanatory, but the reader would need to refer to them.

Page 4 - Movement

Typo: "based on their Guts attribute of the leader or the Gust attribute of the rest of the unit"

I think it should be "based on the Guts attribute of the leader or the Guts attribute of the rest of the unit"

This really relates to the Action Cards (I know these are stand in ones until the proper artwork is complete), but the Movement section is where it is currently placed.

As this is the core of the rules, it would help to look at the Action Cards in detail on their own page with their own entry in the index (it is in the list of figures, but not in the main body of the index).

It would also be useful if the relevant part of the card is repeated in each section (so in the Movement section the Movement Speed indicator part, in the Shooting section the relevant parts of the card).

Page 8 - Shooting Procedure

This really needs the relevant sections of the Action Card on the page.

Typo: "the leader is not present or is not performing there command role".
I think that should read "the leader is not present or is not performing their command role ".

Page 9 - Shooting Example

Is figure 3 really figure 3, the next figure is labelled 1.4.

Figure 3 part 2 The circles should highlight the bits of the card that are being referenced:
The current text states "The blue oval indicates that the figure was wounded in the upper torso". This could mislead the reader into thinking that there should be a blue oval on the card rather than the blue oval indicating where on the card the information is to be obtained.

It might help to have the relevant icons in the text or to say circled in blue (ovaled in blue ^__^).

Typo: stun maker not Stun Marker.

Figure 3 part 4, the colour of the circles are not consistent with part 2.

Page 10 - Computing Range to the Target: do you measure from the centre of mass to centre of mass or base edge to centre of mass?

Page 12 - Melee
"The ten side dice number is modified as shown the Hand-to-Hand section in Figure 1‐4."
I assume this means the number in the ten sided dice symbol rather than the number of ten sided dice to roll ^__^.

Also on figure 1.4 it says "Movement (1d10)", is that right?

Page 13 - Attacks with Hand Grenades
The figure is not numbered.
In the figure text, part 1 mentions a black circle, is this a result of changes to the Action Card? There is a yellow circle indicating a miss.

Page 14 reference to figure 1.5 (not numbered on page 13).

Page 15 - Guts and Morale
Some examples might be useful (though as I only have the test Action Cards, the EDF and ILF versions will be different). Would you use the  EDF Action Deck for other ConFed forces?

Page 16 - Figure 1.7 seems out of place. A filled in one and an example of a Reaction might be useful.

I hope that this is of use.