Albedo Combat Patrol

News:

• Partizan is coming... 
    play ACP164 on May 19th in Nottingham!
  • Counterattack!  Come and join in the participation game at Hammerhead, Newark on March 2nd
  • Come see us at Salute!  London, April 6th.

Author Topic: Introductory Scenario: Recce Patrol. Game reports & results  (Read 612 times)

Offline ACP_Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Recce Patrol.

This is a thread for everyone to record the results of Recce-Patrol, the introductory scenario for Albedo Combat Patrol.
Record the results of your games on the thread, and the admin team will analyze them and update the overall results.

You can download the PDF to play the scenario here: https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/WebRoot/Namesco/Shops/950003459/MediaGallery/Albedo/Scenario_0_Recce_Probe.pdf

18/09/2018
Results to date

1 x Confed Victory 5 / 4
1 x ILR Victory 6 / 3

The Scenario

Setting
This scenario, Recce Probe, is an infantry-only scenario that will allow you to get a feel for the basic rules described in Section 1. The scenario is designed to be played by two players using the miniatures supplied in the Albedo Combat Patrol box set (4 x EDF Heavy Infantry and 7 x ILR Skirmish Order Troops. The table is meant to be two feet by two feet, laid out according to the map shown below. The buildings can be constructed using the Albedo Terra-Block set or the card representation of these pieces from the boxed game. Ensure that there are plenty of pieces of scatter terrain to provide cover between buildings

This action does not appear in any of the official histories of the Third Lepine War, in fact the only official record off it is a contact report, hurriedly scribbled by Cpl Rawlinsky, the EDF patrol commander before collapsing for a couple of hours shut eye before leading the next patrol. 23rd Mech had gone firm on the outskirts of Beiiport. 3rd Platoon had been tasked with defending the main comms relay against the expected ILR counter-attack. Sections were deployed with overlapping arcs of fire, stag lists drawn up and aggressive patrolling of the perimeter commenced a text book operation. And so, Rawlinsky led her fire-team out on yet another routine defensive patrol, through the hastily evacuated industrial park that was now no-critters land between the opposing forces, when the sharp crack of a 5mm case-less round alerted her to the fact that the ILR were probing their positions.

The ILR are deploying recce patrols, at fire-team strength to probe the EDF positions in order to establish their strength and state of readiness in preparation for launching a counter attack. This scenario represents one of the many clashes between perimeter defence and reconnaissance patrols.

Deployment Map

Scenario Specific Rules
•   Terrain is set up as shown on scenario map.
•   As this is an introductory scenario using a handful of miniatures, each figure is treated as a unit with its own activation dice. Any morale effects that need to be applied are applied to the single figure. If the morale effect is split, i.e. figure with highest guts advances 10”, figure with lowest guts retreats 10” only the first effect is applied.
•   The ILR Patrol is 6 critters rather than the textbook strength of 7, this is because we recommend that you assemble the miniatures in the box set as 5 x Rifle, 1 x Grenade Launcher and 1 x LMG for variety in early games. As a fire-team fields either a LMG or a Grenade Launcher your team will be down a critter. Don’t worry about this, it is perfectly normal, one of the critters became a casualty yesterday and has not been replaced or the section was required to supply a critter to platoon or company for ‘other duties’.
•   Deployment zones are marked, extending 6” from diagonally opposite corners with 3 deployment tokens, as shown on the scenario map. No figures are deployed on the table at the start of the game. Activation dice are assigned to figures in the normal way and when their activation card is drawn, the figure can either be deployed on to the table by drawing an action card and moving the distance shown onto the table, measuring the distance from any of their side’s three deployment zone tokens, or held in reserve, skipping their activation.
•   The scenario lasts for 8 turns.

Victory Points  (VPs)
•   The ILR Patrol Commanders mission is to bypass defensive patrols in order to observe and report EDF main force deployments, to do this at least one ILR figure must exit the table via the EDF deployment zone.
•   The EDF Patrol Commanders mission is to prevent any ILR troops exciting via their deployment zone to report back on EDF deployments.
•   3 VPs are awarded to the recce patrol for exciting a figure via the defensive patrols deployment zone.
•   1 VP is awarded for each enemy figure incapacitated.

ConFed Forces

ILR Forces

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:40:43 AM by ACP_Chris »

Offline ACP_Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 04:21:10 PM
After Action Report: Sat 15th September 2018
EDF patrol commanded by Chris / ILR patrol commanded by Doug
Result EDF Victory 5 / 4 VPs

The Confed team leader and foxy trooper deploy into a building, hoping to get a good field of fire from a covered position.

Trooper Fox smashes the glazing with his rifle butt and scans the horizon for signs of movement.

At the far side of the complex, ILR troopers are moving through buildings and taking up positions for a cautious advance.

Confed form a loose line, making best use of the cover in and around the buildings to the left.

The superior range of the Confed rifle takes it's toll, as the lepine casualties mount.

However, the frontal assault is a feint and a pair of ILR troopers make their way around the rear of the buildings. Although one of the pair goes down, the survivor takes Trooper Fox out as he fumbles a magazine change, leaving the path clear for a rush to the exit (which game the ILR three bonus victory points) as they had slipped the patrol and could report on the positions they were shielding.

At that point, on the last turn it looked like a draw with 4 victoty oints a side. Confed had incapacitated 4 ILR troopers for 4VPS, ILR had got a trooper of the table and incapacitated one Confed trooper for 4 victory points. How ever, in the last activation of the last turn this Confed trooper charges and manages to incapicitate his opponent tipping the scales to a 5 vs 4 result for Confed.

This was a very tense and exciting game which could have easily gone the other way. The introductory scenario is a great way to get to grips with the fast, fuirious and realistic card driven combat mechanics at the heart of Albedo Combat Patrol.

Offline ACP_Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 10:03:01 AM
Recce Patrol - Monday 17th September 2018

Last Monday, Pete and I got together to have a play through of the Albedo Combat Patrol, ACP164 Recce Patrol scenario. I played Confed who fielded an EDF Heavy Infantry fire team of 4 critters and Pete played the Independent Lapine Republic (ILR), who fielded a fire team of 7 critters including a LMG team.

This was the first time that Pete had played Albedo, but he quickly got the feel of the fast and intuitive card based combat mechanics.

The ILR patrol split there forces, half moving through the building to there front, the other half including the LMG team moving around the side of the building.

Meantime the EDF patrol had moved up into good, covered fire positions. When the first ILR troopers burst through the door, the EDF were ready and they went down an a barrage of 5mm caseless rounds. At that point, fortune was favoring the EDF. In Albedo troops are rated for there reactions, using the reaction value troops who are not stunned or have a stoppage can attempt to fire to interrupt enemy movement. We had a 40% chance of success and managed to get two shots in that incapacitated the ILR trooper attempting to exit the building. 

Following on from that success the EDF managed to take out the ILR LMG gunner as he broke cover from the corner of the building, however that was the high point of the EDF game! One of the gunner's buddies picked up the LMG from there comrade, set it up and delivered a devastating burst of fire that took out two EDF troopers.

The firefight in the center of the table saw another EDF trooper go down. By this time, the ILR patrol had managed to exit two of there troopers off the table through the EDF deployment zone, earning them the bonus three VPS for scouting the EDF main force positions.

The final result was a convincing ILR victory 6 VPS against 3 VPs for the EDF.
Well done Pete.

Offline Kustenjaeger

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 04:56:08 PM
Interesting intro  scenario.  Is there any viewpoint on whether the LMG or the GL is better for the ILR as one can only build one of these from the ILR set?   

Regards

Edward

Offline Starlit Vixen

• Silly Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 11:03:57 PM
The rules seem pretty interesting as I understand they allow you to command both larger squads and, judging by these battle reports, individuals without trouble.

I'd also be interested in hearing about the pros and cons of the heavier guns as Kustenjaeger mentions.

The fox says: "Have a nice day."
Then she'll shoot you.

Offline ACP_Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 10:25:49 PM
Interesting intro  scenario.  Is there any viewpoint on whether the LMG or the GL is better for the ILR as one can only build one of these from the ILR set?   

Regards

Edward

Hi Edward,

The current set is the playtest set.  More weapons will be available in production, and will be coming to the store after the kickstarter.   

In particular, this scenario was designed to test weapons at the individual level, which is why there’s only  MG or GL. 

Depending on the scenario, (which might be based in earlier time periods than modern albedo) the weapons mix and load out will vary, also.

Thanks for your interest!

ACP Mike

Offline Starlit Vixen

• Silly Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 03:55:22 PM

Coming out of the blue again, may I ask if there's any further specification regarding the equipment of the EDF troops here - as in, do they get their LMG trooper or the MPKW 2-18-armed squad leader or should they all be armed with the assault rifles?

Then she'll shoot you.

Offline Direlda

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 03:11:19 PM
Is it just me or is the deployment map in the first post not showing up?

Offline Starlit Vixen

• Silly Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 06:43:28 PM
Is it just me or is the deployment map in the first post not showing up?

Huh, now that you mention it I can't see it either although I'm fairly sure it was there earlier...

Then she'll shoot you.

Offline ACP_Mike

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 10:46:21 AM
Hiya,

Just noticed the map is missing.  Search party activated!

Mike

Offline ACP_Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 10:53:04 AM
Deployment map found and re-inserted.

I've also added a link to the original post to a downloadable PDF version of the scenario, so now you have that and the miniatures are available to play the scenario from www.acp164.com I'm looking forward to reading some more battle reports and updating the results table.

This was the first scenario that we played with Justin, over at Beasts of War.
We made a 'Lets Play' video that explains how to play the game, step by step, so it's a pretty good resource for finding out about the game.
Click here to to take a look: https://www.beastsofwar.com/featured/albedo-round-breakdown/

Offline Deniper

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 04:36:08 PM
     Got a game underway yesterday, played the introductory scenario, (thou I admit to going off script a little.)  my opponent Frank was a good sport and knew I was learning the basics of the game as well.  Though I suspect the next game I play against him he will hold me to the letter of the rules. 

starting positions of both teams.  I choose to break the half squads into 2 sections to have grouped activation.

During the first turn both sides started moving towards good firing positions some largely ineffective shooting happened.

during the second turn the LMG posted in the window had a shot at an EDF trooper in cover. and jammed immediately...

The EDF fireing position on the flank.

The EDF rabbit in cover took a head shot and as I was not thinking we considered him incapacitated. for a turn. then realized he had only taken 2 hitpoints we roleplayed this as everyone on the field seen the shot and counted him as dead. only to have him get up again a little bit later. THE MVP of the EDF however was the "Dogbert" as he ran into danger to toss 2 grenades (back to back activations) into the window the first bounced away from the target the second caused several wounds and stuns.  The ILR casualty in the road was the result of a successful reaction fire from the EDF section down the hallway when his section moved up in a attempt to close the range.  The last rabbits in the building is about to do something stupid.

During his next activation "Dogbert" shook off his stunned status and was greeted by a rabbit jumping though the window on his right which he reacted to and successfully got off 2 shots which happend to hit first the rabbit in the window and then the rabbit that initiated the reaction fire. incapacitating them both. (can't make this up..)

at this time the Rabbit EDF trooper got a chance to act stood up and shot at the 2 remaining ILR troopers caught in the open and from behind. incapacitating one and causing a stun effect on the remaining one. who already had an unresolved stun from earlier.  (don't honestly quite remember how this came to pass.)

who then drew on his activation which happened next, the runs away 10 inches, and drew the second morale result as runs 10 inches and kill self. Ending the game rather darkly. overall 6 ILR dead or incapacitated one badly wounded EDF rabbit (saved by his helmet) and one decorated dogface.... a total victory for the EDF.

I made some bad decisions in this game as the ILR player, and we had some time spent to rules lookups.  My opponent Frank is a acquaintance I have known for some years now and is looking forward to our next game.  I also spent some time answering questions about the game from other players who observed the speed of play and good looking models. hopefully I can grow a community out here as I really enjoyed this game. and am wanting to play at larger scales soon.

Offline duhred

• I was framed!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 08:41:15 PM
There's a "kill self" result!?