Albedo Combat Patrol

News:

Author Topic: terrain for demo games, and miniatures painting conversions.  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Initial sketch up of the needed terrain and sizes for the demo game based on the info in the scenario. My intention is to build the needed buildings from Foam board and use other scatter terrain I have for the rest. I will update progress on this project in this thread. Feel free to comment or offer critic.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:10:06 AM by Deniper »

Offline ACP_Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 05:13:38 PM
That looks like a good start to a terrain project, and I guess is based on our multi-layout terrain set,
https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Products/ACPT1

That is the set that we have used in all our play throughs of the introductory scenario during play testing and at Beasts of War.
We made the buildings in sections so that they could be re-arranged in different ways to give a bit of variety each time you play.
If you can manage something like that, that would be great as we have some scenarios that use a number of small buildings and some that use one big building.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing how your build goes!

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:46:48 PM
Right now the plan is to build that layout as closely as I can, the multipart variable buildings are awesome! but I would not replicate the design closely, as I would rather just buy a set when I can.
here is the base of the first building and the windows and doors template jig.

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:52:54 AM
Floors for all three buildings sorted, next to cut the walls and get the doors and windows cut out. The base is a 2x2 ft panel in a frame to give it some weight and impact. One thing doing this caused me to think about is that since art is a relatively new discipline in the Albedo universe the lack of aesthetic consideration becomes an aesthetic itself.  And so building anything for this universe is a exercise in practicality over form. (side note: the map under the buildings is the site of Sekigahara drawn out at 1/1200 scale.)

Offline ACP_Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:27:00 AM
That is looking really good.
So you are using foamboard? and what have you stuck on for floor tiles?

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 02:35:36 PM
It is foam board, and rather than sticking anything down I simply used a awl and straight edge to emboss the floor lines. Once the sealer is on and the walls mounted I do not expect any warping.

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:27 PM
First building up once all three are to this stage I'll start working on details, vents, door panels ect.  then its on to prepping the scatter terrain and such.

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 05:51:56 AM
ok got some printing and cutting done today. counters are mounted on funky foam craft material with spray adhesive. the cards need sleeves which is something i will have to pick up soon.

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 06:47:42 AM
alright basic buildings done, next steps include getting all the interior reinforcements in place, small details on the buildings themselfs, sealing the foam core and working on the scatter terrain setup.

Offline ACP_Chris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 10:55:33 AM
This is all looking really good.
Do let us know when your starter set miniatures arrive!

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 05:19:57 AM
Thank you I certainly will and am really excited to be getting them! I am looking forward to seeing what I can do paint wise with these models. And start showing the game off around town.

Did some paint work tonight on the buildings, still work I can do on them. And I need to go digging thru the big box of resin terrain bits some time this week or next to get interior details, consoles, and such.
the comms array is old Armor cast stuff and a better paint job is on the list.

Offline ACP_Mike

• Administrator
  • It's not the bullet that kills you, it's the hole.
    • View Profile
    • Albedo Patrol
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 07:22:59 AM
Wow.  Thatís looking awesome!

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 03:00:17 AM
so took some time to dig thru the resin bits box and found these appropriate scatter terrain parts for the table. Painting these will ensue shortly,  I probably will still get some palm trees for the table as i like the look of them, and yes the foam core buildings are warping  :-\ I did not have the resources to go get some Gator board (clay board that does not warp) so I'll just have to put some rubber feet on the corners and go with it. at least until I can get some of the building sets from Sally 4th.  (one last aside the sculpture in the background next to the wine bottle was our wedding cake topper the family did not ask questions thankfully.)

I love the wall console parts but I also know in the Albedo verse rivits are a technology that where fully bypassed. anyway after some paint work these will do for now. Also I want like a dozen more of those chairs...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:02:47 AM by Deniper »

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 06:19:52 AM
got my models!! yay!! they look great after a tiny touch of cleanup and setting them on the bases, i started assembly. The figures fit together well.  I do need to touch the flashing on the arms a bit more (the photo highlights the issue as worse than it is in person)

There's a reason there are only 3 EDF troopers pictured, explained below.

After assessment of the available heads from the skirmish pack and 2 packs of random heads i decided I required at least one rabbit trooper in the EDF fire team and since I dislike solders that have helmets issued not wearing them.  I started sculpting a helmet onto one of the rabbit heads.

tomorrow after this putty cures properly I'll add the chin strap and make sure the shapeing is good sharpen edges straighten up what needs it.

Offline Deniper

• ILR Players
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 04:39:46 AM
The first painted models from the skirmish set. All these need is maybe one more detail sweep and painting the black on the bottoms of the rabbit bases. 
EDF section maneuvering

Lepines the brown is from the color retelling of the Derzon engagement the green trim seemed fitting,

Over all layout of the terrain set for the skirmish scenario, still some work to do but its currently playable!